The Cost of Worship

Last night at youth group, Chris was teaching about 2 Samuel 24.  The context is a sin of David - he pridefully numbered the people of Israel.  God disciplined him by bringing three days of pestilence on the land (killing 70,000 men of Israel).  The pestilence ended, and David was bringing an offering before God at the threshing floor of Araunah.  Araunah makes a generous and sacrificial offer - he offers to give the floor to David at no cost.


In 2 Samuel 24:24, David replies to Araunah,

"However, the king said to Araunah, "No, but I will surely buy it from you for a price, for I will not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God which cost me nothing" So David bought the threshing floor..."

This is the true attitude of worship.  Too often we think of worship as actions we do, but true worship includes an attitude of worship, and worship without sacrifice is not true worship at all.  Doing worshipful acts without a heart of worship and without offering a sacrifice to God, this is worth little.

As I posted yesterday, I continue to encourage you.  Don't offer one-handed, half-hearted, non-sacrificial worship and service to the Lord of all things who chose you for adoption as sons and daughters.  Give Him your all.  Consider nothing worth more than God - consider all as a sacrifice before the Lord.

Luke

Off topic, with this post I've made April the most active posting month on this blog this year with 5 posts.  That's pathetic lol.  That's my fault for being inactive.  Next month we will do more, or at least I will.  Let's get back to the golden days, like the 41 posts from March 2008 lol.

7 comments:

Kade April 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

Luke, you're on fire! You can't be stopped!

kade

Luke Godfrey April 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

Haha, I'll see how long I can keep this up. As long as I have profound thoughts lol.

Rachel April 30, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

That is totally true that we as believers should give our all for our Lord and Savior. We need to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, the Author and Perfector of our faith.

Rachel April 30, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

Nick's last post was in Feb.... Hey Nick, if you still read your blog, UPDATE!!!

Rachel

You know, I could just tell you that, you're only a couple of rooms away...

Nicholas April 30, 2009 at 6:32 PM  

Thanks for posting Luke. I think I have a several-post post coming along... if you follow me.

Ha ha Rachel (not M.) :). I do read this blog... whenever you remind me! :D

Rachel May 1, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

:D

Rachel May 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

Which probably should be more often, seeing as you're my brother...

Rach

PS You should post about the classes you went to with Dr. Lisle! And while your at it, post on your other blog(s) too

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Recent Comments


Catechism

And, in testimony of our desire, and assurance to be heard, we say, Amen.

Catechism question generator by Luke Godfrey