isolation

Proverbs 18 "Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment."

When you get mad or upset, what is the first thing that you want to do? Alright. Besides hitting someone, what else would you want to do? Isolate yourself, right? Run to your room... retreat... get out of there... slam doors... beat up the little beany-bag monkey that's laying on your bed... jump up and down and then try to pull your hair out but then, realizing that it hurts, you stop... you would then punch the wall and then hold your knuckles... grab the remote and slam it on your desk until the batteries fall out... rip the poster of Legolas off of your wall and then realize that you liked that poster and wish you wouldn't have done that... then, in your anger, you spill the coffee that was on your night-stand and make a nasty looking stain on your carpet... and then, finally, you throw yourself onto your bed and beat your face with the pillow.

Alright, maybe not that drastic.

But anyways, isolating yourself is not good. Because you are running away from all wisdom. And instead of listening to the wisdom, you throw yourself a pity party! Woo-ho! Party on! -It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A. Yeah it's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A! Ha, ha, ha, ha! You 'break out against all sound judgement.' You're mildewing in your bed with the slime falling down onto the floor. You're getting mad at everyone and everything. You think that you are the one who's absolutely right... (believe me, I know how it is). And you think that everyone else is stupid and mean.

So next time when you're having a problem with someone, instead of retreating to your room and mildewing- stand, and try to work the problem out, for it will do you no good to isolate yourself.
kade

8 comments:

Caleb Nathaniel May 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Great post it is very thought provoking.

Rachel May 18, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

That's a really good post, I know what it's like to just want to lock myself in my room and escape from everything...not that I rip posters and punch the walls and knock the batteries out of remotes, but yeah :)

~Rachel

Kevin Wegner May 18, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

Excellent Post! I agree with Caleb, very thought provoking :D

Camden May 18, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

I would say that I agree, and that it's great to work out a problem, but other times, I don't think getting away is wrong. When I see or hear something that really hurts me, one of my natural impulses is to go to my room and read my Bible. It gives me comfort, and helps me to find peace with the situation. If I always confront the problem I see, I worry that I'll act rashly and out of anger instead of wisdom. So, I agree, but I just wanted to add that.

Camden

Josh May 19, 2009 at 5:48 AM  

I think it can be very dangerous to retreat to a room when you're angry. It is a prime opportunity for Satan to come and build a stronghold in your heart and turn your anger into rebellion, hatred or other "problems".

I agree Kade. It is very important to deal with the problem instead of letting it fester and get worse.

In Christ,
Josh

Kade May 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Camden: When you retreat to your room to read your Bible, it's not escaping from wisdom; you're seeking it! That's great!

That kind of 'getting away' is perfectly fine.
kade

Kade May 19, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

Oh, and by the way I actually haven't done all those things that I listed up there!

kade

Luke Godfrey May 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

@ Camden, I would say that that kind of getting "alone" doesn't leave you alone - that brings you one-on-One with God. That kind of "isolation" is the best way to overcome anger.

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Recent Comments


Catechism

And, in testimony of our desire, and assurance to be heard, we say, Amen.

Catechism question generator by Luke Godfrey