Communication:Conversation

I can't tell you how many times adults have been shocked that I held a conversation with them!People don't expect that. It is a very powerful thing, conversation. People think, Wait, aren't you supposed to be one of those lazy teen-agers who do nothing but have fun and hang out with your girlfriend? I've never seen this before. And before you know it, they love you!

How do you hold a conversation with an adult?
(1). Be friendly.
(2). Ask questions. (It's good to have a couple questions in your head all times: "What's your job?" "Have any kids?" "Do you go to church? Where?"etc.)
(3). Be mature. (Meaning: look them in the face, shake their hand, etc. (for all you guys, it had better be a firm hand shake! Or else...)

When I think of this I think of the Proverb "Even a fool who is silent, is considered wise." Well this is the opposite! "Even a fool who can hold a mature conversation with an adult is considered wise."-Kade (You can quote me on that one:)

All Christ,
~Kade

6 comments:

ReganBKing May 21, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

I think that in many cases the lazy/obnoxious/doesnt care about anything except himself or herself teenager is a common misconception. I agree that it is good and profitable to have conversations with adults and these can be rather interesting as well. (I am in full agreement with the bit about the hand shake.)

ReganBKing May 21, 2008 at 1:29 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
cj May 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

I totally agree, talking with adults is very profitable. It's a very good thing when a teenager humbly accepts advice from an adult.

Being respectful to adults is very important, when you can hold a respectable conversation with one they usually label you as mature.

Margaret Braun May 21, 2008 at 6:01 PM  

I can't stand flimsy handshakes from anyone. As a girl, I've utterly shocked some people with my handshake. I got it from a friend who practically crushed my hand the first couple of times I met him but now I've at least matched his firm grip.

Rachel May 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM  

A lot of times at Bible Study, since there's no one my age there, I will talk to some of the grown ups. It's fun talking to one lady, because we both like music alot. And you get to know a lot about them! Some people might think it's funner talking to people your own age, but that's not true!

Kade May 22, 2008 at 12:02 PM  

One time I heard a homeschooler complain that if he were public-schooled he would be more social. That's only half-corect. He would be more social with kids HIS AGE!... not with adults. He might even shun adults, and only want to talk to his friends.
~Kade

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Recent Comments


Catechism

And, in testimony of our desire, and assurance to be heard, we say, Amen.

Catechism question generator by Luke Godfrey